We often have to pass your personal data to trusted third parties but only for the purposes of processing your order (fulfilling our contract with you) keeping in touch with you by direct marketing or providing you with additional facilities on our website.
We never sell, rent or pass your data to other companies for their marketing purposes. The only exception to this rule is if you enter a competition organised by us and the prize is offered by another company that company may expect to have access to your information for marketing purposes and to fulfill the prize. In this case you will be specifically informed at the time you enter the competition
Where we need to share your data with other companies we only provide them with the personal information they need to carry out specific services. We will have an agreement with them to ensure:-
- they too comply with the requirements or equivalent standards of the General Data Protection Regulations even if they are operating outside Europe.
- they only use your data for the purposes we specify in our agreement with them.
- they only retain your data for as long as is necessary after which it will be deleted.
Obvious examples of the kind of third parties we work with are:-
- Operational companies such as delivery couriers who need your name and address to deliver your order and your email address to inform you when the delivery is due.
- Payment Service Providers (PSPs) who receive the credit card or Paypal details you provide when placing an order. Party Pieces never see these details but the PSPs will use them to transfer payment from your account to ours and to perform credit checking against lists of known fraudulently used cards.
- IT companies who support our website and other business systems. Our customer lists and records are usually held within the systems to which they have access.
- Direct marketing companies who help us manage our electronic and postal communications with you and keep records of your email preferences.
- Address management companies to ensure your details are up to date and accurate and that you haven’t listed with any suppression service.
Less obvious examples of how your personal data might be passed to other companies:-
- When you use our Chat Line the email address you use for the chat gets passed to Olark in the USA which we use to manage this service. While the “chat” itself is directly with our own Customer Service staff the transcript of it alongside your name and email address is made by Olark who will send the copy of the transcript to you if you request it. Olark is not allowed to use any of this data for any other purpose.
- If another business were to buy or otherwise acquire part or all of the assets of Party Pieces then the personal data held by Party Pieces about its customers could be transferred as one of the assets. If this were to happen, your personal data would be transferred to the new owner under the terms of this Privacy Notice. During the process of purchase or acquisition Party Pieces customer data might be shared with the interested party under the terms of this Privacy Notice for the purposes of the evaluation of the customer data as a whole.
We may be required to disclose your personal data to the police or other enforcement or regulatory body. These requests are assessed on a case-by-case basis and if faced with them we will take the privacy of our customers into consideration. This may include exchanging information with other companies or organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction
11. Where your personal data might be processed
At Party Pieces we keep a schedule of all the customer personal data we hold showing where it is held and how it is transferred from one area to another. By far the majority of such data is held on our own servers in the UK or on the servers of our IT partners also in the UK.
Sometimes we will need to share your personal data with third parties and suppliers outside the UK and even outside the EEC. An obvious example of this are when you place an order with us and you live in the USA. Your name and delivery information will have to be passed at some stage to a courier in the USA to deliver your order. A less obvious example is the one given in Section 9 (above) concerning the use of our Chat Line.
The GDPR covers the processing of data within the EEC but where the data goes outside the EEC we ask our service partners in those countries to apply the same standards to the processing of that data as is required by the GDPR.
12. How can you stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing?
The marketing material we send to enquirers and previous customers mostly consists of email newsletters and special offers. We also send copies of our party catalogue to previous customers on the anniversary of a previous purchase and to anyone else who asks for it.
If you are receiving marketing information and want to stop it or you want to prevent it from the outset you can take any of the following actions and we will comply with your request:-
- tick the “opt-out” box when placing an order to prevent newsletters and special offers being sent to you by email. This is next to the point where we ask you for your email address.
- click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any marketing email communication we send you which should stop the emails immediately or you can unsubscribe from email marketing here if you wish.
- ask us not to mail you copies of our printed catalogue by clicking here or at any time in the future by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively return any unwanted catalogue to us at our expense using the contact details shown on the inside back cover of any of our recent catalogues.
- write to Customer Services at Party Pieces, Childs Court Farm, Ashampstead Common, RG8 8QT or email email@example.com or phone us on 01635 201844.
13. What rights do you have over your personal data held by Party Pieces?
You have the right to request:
To carry out any of these requests please contact Customer Services at Party Pieces, Childs Court Farm, Ashampstead Common, RG8 8QT (Tel: 01635 201844) or email firstname.lastname@example.org To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make regarding your personal data.If, in the unlikely event you should feel that your personal data has not been handled correctly by Party Pieces you can lodge a formal complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) whose website can be found at www.ico.org.uk.
- access to the personal data we hold about you.
- the correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- the deletion of any personal data we hold about you provided we do not need it for other legitimate purpose eg. the invoices we raise to you for tax and VAT purposes and our marketing suppression lists.
- that we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (see Section 12)
- the withdrawal of any consent you may have previously given us to use or process your personal data
14. Terms and Conditions
To view our Terms and conditions click here