We know that there’s a lot of information here, but we want you to be fully informed about your rights and how you can control the manner in which we use the data we collect from you and how you can check it, amend it, and delete it if you wish. We hope the following sections will answer any questions you have but if not, please do get in touch with us.
We will update this Privacy Notice from time to time so if you have any concerns about the data we ask you for you can always check the latest version which will be available on our website. The date of the last update will always be shown at the end of the notice.
2. Who are Party Pieces?
Tel: 01635 201844
Any questions regarding this Privacy Notice or concerning the way your personal data has or is being handled by us should be sent to the above address by post, email or phone.
For Data Protection purposes Party Pieces has been registered (Reg No: Z6426601) with the Information Commissioners Office since 2002. The registration was updated on 25th May 2018.
3. Explaining the legal bases we rely on
- Consent – An example of this is when you opt-in to receive email newsletters or special offers. You can easily withdraw this consent at any time either by contacting us or by “unsubscribing” from any of the email messages we send you.
- Contractual obligations – When you order from us, you are asked to accept our Terms and Conditions and these establish a contract between you and Party Pieces. Our part of the deal is to pack and deliver the goods you have ordered, and for this we need a delivery address, a means of communicating with you electronically (phone or email or both), and payment for the goods.
- Legal compliance – For example, when we make a sale we have to raise a VAT invoice for the transaction which will have the name and address of our customer on it. We have to keep this accounting information for up to six years after the date of the sale. Please note however, we are not required to hold any credit card (or Paypal) details and neither do we want to. When you place your order this information goes directly to the payment services provider (PSP) we use (Shopify Payments or Paypal) who arrange the transfer of money from your account to ours. We never see this information ourselves.
- Legitimate interest – Under certain circumstances businesses may send marketing information or offers to previous customers provided the goods being promoted are similar in nature to those previously purchased and that such communications do not materially impact the rights, freedom or interests of the recipients.
4. When do we collect your personal data?
- When you create an online account with us (consent).
- When placing an order online using an account or as a guest (contractual obligation, legal compliance and legitimate interest).
- When you request a catalogue (consent).
- When you sign up for our newsletter (consent).
- When you sign up for our blog (consent).
- When you contact us by any means with queries, complaints etc (contractual obligation and/or consent).
- When you enter prize draws or competitions (consent and you may have to give further consent for your personal information to be passed on to the company offering the prize for the competition).
- When you comment on or review our products and services (consent and legitimate interest).
• Your computer’s IP address
• Tracking your movements on our website
5. What sort of personal data do we ask you for?
6. What sort of additional data do we collect from you?
7. How do we use your personal data?
The personal data we ask you for is primarily used to fulfil our contract with you so we can deliver the goods you have ordered from us.
We ask you for your name and home address so we can:-
- deliver your order to you or to your delivery address if different
- check the viability of the payment method you have used and to prevent fraudulent transactions.
- create an record for you in our order management system and account for the sale of goods to you for tax and VAT purposes.
- once or twice a year send you a copy of our latest party catalogue unless you ask us to cease. You can do this here or at any time in the future by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We ask you for your email address so we can:
- get in touch with you about your order where necessary
- acknowledge receipt of your order and advise you when it has left us giving you details of the shipment allowing you to track its progress.
- ask the delivery service to advise you when your order will be delivered.
- tell you when any refund you have asked for has been actioned.
- stay in touch with you after subscribing to our newsletter or placing an order unless you ask us not to. These emails usually take the form of:-
- advise of free offers or periods of free delivery
- arrival of new product ranges
- arrival of seasonal ranges such as Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Summer etc
- issue of a new edition of our catalogue
- stay in touch with you after signing up for our blog. These emails usually take the form of:-
- RSS blog updates
- Blog newsletter
- send you feedback requests to help us improve our products and services. These emails do not include any promotional content.
We ask you for payment information to allow our payment services provider to manage the payment of your order and advise us when it is complete. We never see or store this information ourselves.
- get in touch with you about your order where necessary
- ask the delivery service to send you SMS messages about the delivery of your order (mobile phones only of course)
- if you opt-in for SMS Marketing messages.
Optionally we ask you for the dates of birth of your children so we can send you a party catalogue or an email tailored to the child’s age a few weeks before the birthday. No correspondence is sent to the children themselves.
8. How do we protect your personal data?
9. How long will we keep your personal data?
10. Who do we share your personal data with?
- they too comply with the requirements or equivalent standards of the General Data Protection Regulations even if they are operating outside Europe.
- they only use your data for the purposes we specify in our agreement with them.
- they only retain your data for as long as is necessary after which it will be deleted.
- Operational companies such as delivery couriers who need your name and address to deliver your order and your email address to inform you when the delivery is due.
- Payment Service Providers (PSPs) who receive the credit card or Paypal details you provide when placing an order. Party Pieces never see these details but the PSPs will use them to transfer payment from your account to ours and to perform credit checking against lists of known fraudulently used cards.
- IT companies who support our website and other business systems. Our customer lists and records are usually held within the systems to which they have access.
- Direct marketing companies who help us manage our electronic and postal communications with you and keep records of your email preferences.
- Address management companies to ensure your details are up to date and accurate and that you haven’t listed with any suppression service.
- If another business were to buy or otherwise acquire part or all of the assets of Party Pieces then the personal data held by Party Pieces about its customers could be transferred as one of the assets. If this were to happen, your personal data would be transferred to the new owner under the terms of this Privacy Notice. During the process of purchase or acquisition Party Pieces customer data might be shared with the interested party under the terms of this Privacy Notice for the purposes of the evaluation of the customer data as a whole.
- We may be required to disclose your personal data to the police or other enforcement or regulatory body. These requests are assessed on a case-by-case basis and if faced with them we will take the privacy of our customers into consideration. This may include exchanging information with other companies or organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction
11. Where your personal data might be processed
The GDPR covers the processing of data within the EEC but where the data goes outside the EEC we ask our service partners in those countries to apply the same standards to the processing of that data as is required by the GDPR.
12. How can you stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing?
The marketing material we send to enquirers and previous customers mostly consists of email newsletters and special offers. We also send copies of our party catalogue to previous customers on the anniversary of a previous purchase and to anyone else who asks for it.
If you are receiving marketing information and want to stop it or you want to prevent it from the outset you can take any of the following actions and we will comply with your request:-
- tick the “opt-out” box when placing an order to prevent newsletters and special offers being sent to you by email. This is next to the point where we ask you for your email address.
- click the ‘unsubscribe’ link in any marketing email communication we send you which should stop the emails immediately or you can unsubscribe from email marketing here if you wish.
- ask us not to mail you copies of our printed catalogue by clicking here or at any time in the future by emailing email@example.com. Alternatively return any unwanted catalogue to us at our expense using the contact details shown on the inside back cover of any of our recent catalogues.
- write to Customer Services at Marsh Farm, Marsh Farm Road, South Woodham Ferrers, Essex CM3 5WP or email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone us on 01635 201844.
13. What rights do you have over your personal data held by Party Pieces?
You have the right to request:
- access to the personal data we hold about you.
- the correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
- the deletion of any personal data we hold about you provided we do not need it for other legitimate purpose eg. the invoices we raise to you for tax and VAT purposes and our marketing suppression lists.
- that we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (see Section 12)
- the withdrawal of any consent you may have previously given us to use or process your personal data
To carry out any of these requests please contact Customer Services at Party Pieces, Marsh Farm, Marsh Farm Road, South Woodham Ferrers, Essex CM3 5WP (Tel: 01635 201844) or email email@example.com To protect the confidentiality of your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make regarding your personal data.
If, in the unlikely event you should feel that your personal data has not been handled correctly by Party Pieces you can lodge a formal complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) whose website can be found at www.ico.org.uk.
14. Terms and Conditions
To view our Terms and conditions click here
Last Updated 13/07/2023