Easy Christmas cupcakes for kids
Posted on November 30 2020
Baking has been especially popular this year thanks to all the extra time we've spent at home due to lockdowns and staycations. We’ve seen homemade banana bread, sourdoughs and cupcakes popping up all over our social feeds, and if you fancy giving baking a go yourself, why not get the kids involved for a fun family activity?
Cupcakes are an ideal treat for kids to decorate due to all the yummy icing and colourful sprinkles. With that in mind, we have created a surprisingly easy and festive Christmas tree cupcake for you all to make at home! So, if you are wondering how to make easy Christmas cupcakes, read on for the recipe…
Christmas tree cupcake recipe
You will need…
- Piping bag
- 1m star nozzle
- Cupcake tray
- Cooling rack
- Electric whisk
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
- 170g self-raising flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 200g soft butter/margarine
- 180g soft light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
For the buttercream icing:
- 800g icing sugar, sifted
- 400g butter, softened
- Green gel food colouring
- 2 tbsp of milk
- Your choice of festive sprinkles (we chose Glamour and Sparkle)
- Preheat your oven – 180°C / 160°C fan / 350°F / gas mark 4 – and place 12 festive cupcake cases in a cupcake tin.
- In a large bowl, beat all the cupcake ingredients together until smooth and combined. This is best done with an electric whisk or stand mixer but can also be done by a good old wooden spoon!
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the 12 cases and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until risen.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely on a cooling rack before icing
Buttercream icing method:
- For the icing, ensure the butter is soft then add to a bowl and beat until smooth. Gradually stir in the icing sugar. When you have added all the icing sugar, beat for two to three minutes then add several drops of green food colouring to make the green buttercream. TIP: If you think your icing is a little thick, add the two tablespoons of milk.
- Spoon the butter icing into a large piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. Pipe the icing into three squeezes one on top of each other, getting smaller each time. Then lift the nozzle slowly at the top to create the peak of the Christmas tree. Decorate with your choice of festive sprinkles and enjoy!
Festive cake decorations
If you enjoyed this Christmas dessert recipe and gave it a go don't forget to tag us in your pics @partypieces !
For our best selling stocking fillers and ideas, click here to read our blog.